05 EIGHT THINGS THAT ARE ART:
As Seen on This Blog


HERE IS A LIST OF THINGS I WILL BE “ENGAGING” AS ART ON THIS WEBSITE.

  1. PAINTING & DRAWING. Artworks that are made by applying liquid pigment to solid/bendy substrates. What painters make. Also what children make. Includes illustrators/illustration and draughtsmen/drawings.
  2. SCULPTURE. Artworks carved, stacked, or beaten out of physical objects that take up space.
  3. FICTION. Long or short narratives that tell a story well or poorly. Includes non-fiction whether you like it or not.
  4. TELEVISION SHOWS. Long and short form collaborative efforts that utilize a dozen media to tell a story. Many of these are the New Novel (sorry Robbe-Grillet), and I want to explore that.
  5. MOVIES AND FILMS. Like television, but closer in spirit to short stories and novellas than to novels.
  6. MUSIC. I don’t have any apparatus for talking about music. Help me out here. Can anyone really talk about music without talking about the composer/performer/feelings? Do we ever really talk about the music?
  7. ARCHITECTURE. I have a very strange apparatus for talking about buildings and spaces. I’m going to use it because I can.
  8. EVERYTHING ELSE. This includes, um, everything.

TWO WORDS I WILL USE  AS ONE WORD A LOT ON THIS WEBSITE:

GOOD ENOUGH. In my artistic self-examinations, I began to castigate my works (and others’) rightly or wrongly as “good enough.”

The Good Enough is what I call art that people release which didn’t go far enough. It is closely related to my belief that Ideas are so common that they don’t deserve the uppercase “I” that I just typed them with. More on this later because I can’t/won’t shut up about it.


ONE THING I’M REALLY LOOKING FOR.

THE SUBLIME. Not sure this exists anymore, but I’m looking for it. I’ve written a hundred thousand words on the sublime already and I’m no closer to any answer. That’s what makes it fun.

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment