PROBLEM 0014: On Critics, Our Sacred Mouthpieces


In which the author tries to quell his cynicism with regards to critics. In which critics are simultaneously praised and criticized. In which Cosmopolis the movie becomes the cannon fired against a canon. And where the author makes a confession that feels goopy.

THE CRITIC MAKES THE WORLD

Let’s be reductive, shall we? That always makes people feel good. The main goal of criticism is to keep you from something you’re going to regret. Yes, I can live with that for now. Critics are in the business of prescribing a quasi-moral aesthetics in which “I told you so” follows quickly upon your regret at not taking their sage advice. Every review is accompanied by a “Thou ought not” and a “Thou oughta shalt”. Critics are good people, like priests or pastors, well-meaning adults in positions of influence to whom we willingly bow our brains. They look at all the temptations besetting us, their flock, and they let us know which choices are mortal sins and which are venial. 

“You can watch some Brakhage and not feel bad tomorrow morning.” 

“Beware the mid-career Scorcese, he’ll just make you sour.” 

“Faulkner should be taken easy and slow, the way he didn’t.” 

“Flannery O’Connor drops peacocks right where you need them. Catch them, but tie loose knots around their hallux.” 

“Hemingway was a man. You will know this. And then you will see what is good. There is a reason he liked to slaughter bulls.” 

“The Mannerists were imitators without vitality, second-rate pratfall artists who thought torsion was a mood.” 

“Durer’s naked people won’t turn you on, but they are naked people.”  

Critics let you know when blessings will befall you and how much reward you can expect from a good deed well done. They have our faith because they are the mouthpiece of an invisible, inactive god—Good Art. 

RECOMMENDED EXPERIENCES

And like priests and pastors, they are living life for you. Yes, I said that last time, but it bears repeating (proof: I wrote it and the essay didn’t fall apart). Critics give you the easy way out. A life well-lived is a life where chances are taken, the results assessed, and the positive and negative experiences aren’t subjected to a value judgement. I don’t give five stars or two thumbs down to my memories. 

Experiences create memories and memories are the only riches we acquire from our own labors. For instance, I have a distinct feeling associated with watching David Cronenberg’s Cosmopolis that is far more valuable than any review of that movie I’ve come across—and the reviews are interesting, often well-written and insightful, but they all tend to repeat the same things about limos and haircuts and Robert Pattinson and a certain prostate exam—but those reviews weren’t my experience. Generally the reviews all appreciated the movie (generally, as in three to four stars, rarely a full on recommendation). They spoke highly about the great director (one of my favorites), the acting of Pattinson, and even the use of rear-projection/green screen, which was too distracting for my tastes. My experience with the movie is my own and the good lies therein. 

But I almost didn’t watch it because of the reviews—their repetitive nature (all across America) made me feel like the repeated elements were all that was in the film—their unanimous insistence that it was a difficult book and an equally difficult movie dis-intrigued me—their checklisting of plot points should have been experienced as thematic coups by the viewer, rather than as moments of story structure meant to pad out a difficult essay. I watched the movie, I hated the movie, and I thought about it (Cronenberg is nearly always thought-provoking), wondered about it (practical effects are equally thought-provoking in a different way), and was very curious to hear Cronenberg’s own thoughts about it. Even if a respected artist creates artworks that you don’t like, they are still interesting (Welles’ The Lady From Shanghai is another personal example) and have moments of brilliance that are worth the pain. 

My point is, I’m afraid we limit ourselves when we limit our decisions to the recommendations of critics. We limit ourselves when we stop a movie or book or painting before it even begins.

SOME FACTS ABOUT CRITICS THAT MAY OFFER ASSISTANCE


  • FACT. Critics are necessary because of the sheer bulk of art that we encounter everyday. 
  • FACT. Critics are not necessary to have a fulfilling life goopy with art.
  • FACT. You make your memories. Critics don’t.
  • CONCLUSION. If I'm not careful, critics will decide for me. I’ve lived too much of my life this way. I want it to stop. How am I ever to reclaim my own tastes if I’m constantly waiting for someone to push me into them?

{ 1 comments... read them below or add one }

BRHischier said...

Take caution of the uninformed critic. Your last post had me looking at movie critics I trust or like and those I don't trust or dislike. Like you I trusted Roger Eberts criticisms. You mentioned a David Cronenberg film and one of my favorites is his film Dead Ringers. Dead Ringers is a horror movie Cronenberg made in the 80's that centers on identical twins who were well known Gynecologists on New York's Park Avenue. To make a long story short when obsessions, cumpolsions, sexual fetishisms and eventual alcohol and drug abuse come into play then things don't end we'll for the twins. When I first watched it I found it both disturbing and thought provoking. I felt that it was one of the smarter horror films I had seen up to that point. Later I would find out that this disturbing film was based on a true story that told the tale of Stewart and Cyril Marcus.
Roger Ebert gave this film a rotten tomatoe. I read his review and gave it some thought. His eventual negative review was based not on Cronenbergs story telling ability or the acting talents of Jeremy Irons but instead on the story itself. Ebert was very disturbed by this movie and found that women who viewed it, found it a very uncomfortable experience. If Roger Ebert had known that this movie was based on true events that were filmed faithfully would his review had been as harsh. You can dislike a fictional piece of work and your criticism can be well founded but can you be critical with the truth of reality. There is no way to know if his review would had been any different if he had been aware that the film centered on true experiences but it is food for thought.

Post a Comment